Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Outcome....

Well, I know in my last update on my 5K journey I said the race would not happen for me......I was delightfully wrong!!! I woke up Saturday morning with considerably less pain. I didn't get my hopes up, but by the time the race was about to begin, I was pretty sure I could run it. I knew that if I started it, I would finish it (I'm REALLY stubborn like that!). Long story short, I did end up finishing it.....slower than I would have liked, but finished nonetheless. It felt good and the real pain didn't set in until about an hour after the race....but I'm pretty sure it was worth it. It was good to accomplish the many goals tied up in this one event.
My friend Betsy did really well....she shaved almost 3 minutes off her time and finished in the top 200 (we think there were about 700+ runners).....yeah Betsy!! You are my hero!!
When I showed up at the race and actually decided to run, my main goals were to run the whole thing and not get beat by someone just "walking" the race! Thankfully those two small goals were accomplished ;)
But it was interesting to see all the different people in the race......there were some that I thought, "Man, they will probably win the whole thing".....some of them were walking within the first mile! And others I thought (shamefully), "I might be able to beat them"....some of them ended up beating Betsy!!! Good lesson: DON"T JUDGE!! The Lord humbled me when I barely got beat by a 70 year old man! I was amazed by him!! And at one point, I was behind a 9 year old little girl.....and then a dog passed me and I almost cried! Thankfully the dog had to take a 'potty' break so I ended up beating him, and the young girl puttered out and walked to the end!
But really, it was fun and it was so neat to see all the people involved.....family and friends of survivors and those who lost their lives to breast cancer. And it was a privilege to run in memory of a dear friend....a mother, a wife, and a mentor.....one who struggled through the last days of her life.
I look forward to my next race....June 15th!
stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Congratulations, friend! You have done so well! Your hard work has paid off and I know it is just the beginning for you! You will be running all over NM! Isn't God good to allow you to run?