Sunday, August 17, 2008

The family and I just went on a mini-vacation last week.....it was there that I was able to spend some time in my one of my favorite places.....underwater! I love to swim and I love to be in the water. Back home in WV I went to the pool at least 3-4 times a week.....not to play or splash around....but to really swim and work out. Over the months and months of doing that, I began to love the water more and more....mostly being 'under' the water. It is so amazingly peaceful down there.....so quiet and slow. I wish I could hold my breath for hours (but sadly, it's only about a minute +......my kids timed me!). It's funny, because in some ways, I can be terrified of the water....I'm extremely claustrophobic and can't stand to be held on to in the water....but when I'm in control (ha, no comment!), I absolutely love it!
Underwater, everything moves slower, more graceful, more fluid.....communication is almost impossible.....it's a very "alone" kind of activity. Don't get me wrong, I love my time with people and hanging out with friends and family, but I do enjoy some alone time too.....and underwater there is no expectations of chatting, dealing, or anything.
I know this all sound pretty lame and cheesy, but when you life is constantly bombarded from all sides with people in need, a family who demands your attention, and constant issues to deal with, finding that alone time can be a precious thing! That must be why I love to take showers too....no one bothers me there!!!
Anyways, Gallup recently opened an aquatic center here and I am looking forward to getting back in the pool....to work on getting back into shape, improving my techniques, AND getting some much needed alone time!! :)

No comments: