Tuesday, August 19, 2008

a new kind of work out....

Well, as many of you know...we've made the move from the city to the middle of nowhere. Literally, there is nothing for miles around us except a few houses and good old Joe Milos (the post office).....and I LOVE it! I don't really miss living in town at all....except for one small thing: the gym. i was really spoiled because i lived less than 10 minutes from one of my favorite places.....the YMCA. For years I've been a member and used it faithfully. I've met many new people, learned kickboxing, trained for races with best friends, learned how to do the butterfly stroke, and watched my kids do "gym time".....lots of good memories. And of course, I spent lots of time exercising and "trying" to lose weight...ugh! but really, I did enjoy the exercising......although I will never be a skinny size 5, I consider myself in pretty good shape because of all the time I spent exercising up there. It was easy, for the most part....they had all the latest equipment, a huge pool and any kind of class you needed....all very convenient.
But now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I am having to re-adjust my work out methods. Now instead of running on the treadmill, I am taking nice long jogs through the quiet desert....and instead of lifting weights, I am hauling 80 pound bales of hay......and instead of doing kickboxing, I am scooping poop for a couple hours a day. And even though I miss the "gym life" a little, I don't think I would trade it for what I have here. I get to do all my exercising outside, under the most amazing blue sky, surrounded by beautiful scenery......my kids are often with me......and although I miss chatting with my friends while I sweat away the calories, I kinda enjoy the remoteness of it all and the peace and quiet. It's a good thing.....thank you Lord for the good things you give us.....even without us asking!
Hopefully, this new workout will yield better results and the pounds will just FALL off!!
(a girl can dream, right?)

2 comments:

Summer said...

Hey girl,

Yeap!! The time has come!! I am soooooo thrilled!!! We are praising God for His goodness toward us. I will keep you posted.

gina said...

sounds like beckley is big city life compared to the desert...if only there was an olive garden. oh well, scooping poop sounds fun, too.