Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Orientation...

We are well into our 2nd day of training and it's going well. There is good team spirit and there seems be a sweet unity. We are moving through our "day at camp" to give them an idea of what it's like...but it almost makes me laugh because once you add 150 campers to the mix, there is NOTHING that will prepare you for it! But we try!

It has been neat to get to know the staff.....really, what I am doing at this point is just observing them. I can see the "types" forming now.....the music types all sit around in the lodge with their guitars or on the piano......the athletic types are stretching out in the morning, ready for a nice long run.....then there are the worker types who are busy doing extra jobs......there are the prissy types (both girls and guys) who are spending most of their mornings in the bathroom in front of the mirror.....there are the tired types who are just laying around on the couches, watching everyone else.....mostly everyone has fallen into one of those groups. But it's good to see them come together in one common group.....a group of believers, committed to serving the Lord for the next couple of months. It's a neat thing to witness and to be a part of. I am so very privileged to have this ministry and be a part of something much bigger than myself. And it's so great to see God ALREADY at work here at the camp, even before a camper sets foot on the property.
I am already aware of some potential problems.....you see that too as you observe people. But I am not worried about that....God is already there, in the future, making preparations for it....preparing the situation AND preparing me! There is alot of "putting out fires" here at camp....it's a daily interruption for me....at least that is the way I used to see it. But now I see those moments as opportunities to minister to others, to depend on God, to seek Him, to watch Him work, to even love Him more. They are just part of the journey!
I'm looking forward to walk this road for the summer....if I keep myself focused on my Savior, keep my "self" under the control of the Holy Spirit, and continually draw closer to Him, then walking this road will eventually put me at a place that is closer to my Savior!!!

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Love your insight and perspective! I look forward to reading about your summer.