Saturday, June 6, 2009

Well, we are home from our camping trip and I'm tired....it was one of those trips where you are just as tired when you get home as you were when you left! And, to top it off, my hubby is sick (flu-like symptoms). But it was still a profitable trip....I could tell the staff really bonded and enjoyed themselves. I wish I could have 'bonded' more, but with my responsibilities and my 'needy' kids, there was only so much I could do. And I wish I could blame it all on my job and my kids, but there is a part of me that struggles with 'bonding'.....but i did what I could and hopefully it's a start.

So camp starts in less than 48 hours....the 'to do' list is still long but we will just get done what we can, and then focus on the task at hand.....give the Gospel and show them the love of Christ! I enjoy that WAY more than all the projects! I am motivated and ready to begin.....it's something that I spend so much time praying for and preparing for, that I'm really anxious for it to actually start. I know the rewards will be great....every summer I am amazed to see the hand of God at work in these young lives....I know I say it often but what a privilege to be a part of such a wonderful ministry.

Yet, although it's so rewarding, there are parts that are difficult, and I usually end up feeling the 'cost' of this ministry, especially in the summer. This will be my 9th summer working here (my 7th as program director) and I know how difficult it can be. I pretty much kiss my husband good bye on the first day of camp.....we pass each other a couple times a day, once or twice we share a meal together....I'm up early before him and then he is out late, usually coming home after I am in bed. And then there are my children. Although they are pretty self sufficient, they are still at the age where they need their Mom....and it's a daily battle for me, knowing I can't be there every time. They still want someone to hold them when they fall off their bike, help them with a craft, find a stamp when they want to mail a letter, tuck them in at night, etc.....in the summer I can't always do those things.....and it makes me sad everytime they tell me (afterwards) that they hurt themselves, but managed to crawl up and get a bandaid out of the cabinet themselves....or when I come in at night and they are already asleep, even though they said they wanted to me to come kiss them good night.....there is a price, and it goes further than even what I mentioned here. There are times of lonliness, issues rarely get resolved because of busyness, I lose touch with friends, etc....but in the end, I wouldn't trade it because the rewards always outweigh the sacrifices. That is something I am learning in other areas of my life as well....it's a slow process at times!!

So, if you think about it, pray for our staff as they are about to embark on a busy/stressful 8 weeks....there will be times of frustration (that camper that pees in his bunk for the 4th time that week), times of sadness (when a friend or peer says something hurtful), times of laughter (when Dino does the "dream skit", throwing his hair around like a girl), and there will also be times of great joy (praying with a child as they make the decision to trust in the love of Christ). There will be ups and downs....but I am praying that they will remember that God never changes. Something I need to remember too....

Well, I will try to keep things updated here as much as possible...I haven't been very faithful to this blog lately, and I'm not sure why I think I'll be able to do it during the busiest season of the year, but it doesn't hurt to try!

No comments: