Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It doesn't take much....

I was reminded of something today....EVERYONE needs encouragement. Sometimes (i'm speaking for myself, too) I think we tend to only try to encourage those who 'look' like they need it. If someone looks down, lost, sad, troubled....we are pretty quick to offer help and words of encouragement. But then there are the people who seldom looked troubled....who are always in the spotlight.....leaders....they have an air of confidence about them....they seem to be in complete control of things....people are often drawn to them. I realized today that they may need encouragement too....not that they are faking their joy, their confidence or appearance of control....it may all be true and real. But there may still be a need for a kind word, a promise to pray, a shared verse of Scripture. It may not take much to touch a secret hurt, or lessen a pain that they are too busy to deal with.
I learned that today, when an unexpected friend stopped me as I hurried from one place to another to ask how I was doing....stopped to ask if there was something particular she could pray about. I know I probably looked silly as I stood there and stuttered for a moment....I was speechless. I know people pray for me....I have a huge support team of people who are committed to pray for us on a daily basis...it is such an encouragement to know that they are there. But then it's another thing to have someone tangibly standing in front of you, wanting to hear about how you are really doing and how they can encourage you.....it says a lot. And if I had stood there any longer, I probably would have gotten misty-eyed....it was a sweet gift from God. And although this friend has no idea what that meant to me (I didn't really feel the impact until later), I am so thankful that she took the time. And I want to challenge you to take the time to encourage those around you...the ones that "look" like they need it, and even the ones that don't look like it. Be a blessing!

No comments: