Saturday, June 12, 2010

Uncondiitional love

NOW, camp is officially over.....breakfast has been served, the campers are gone, the workteam just pulled away headed for home, and the camp is clean. There is a good feeling knowing that a particular task is completed. Although we have an 8 week "task" before us, week one is done and with great success....no real complaints, only words of thanksgiving to a faithful and loving God.
I witnessed something today that reminded me of that faithfulness and love. I was standing in the lodge looking out the window....watching all the parents reunite with their kids. I saw one camper in particular, one that had been very "energetic" (to put it nicely) all week, walking out of the lodge. He made his way through a group of workteam people and finally found his parents. The reunion was sweet.....I stood there watching as they sandwiched him in a big hug...then the Dad picked him up in a big embrace....the Mom took her turn wrapping her arms around him, running her fingers through his messy hair, holding his face to get a good look at him. I watched as he showed them the rocket he had made and what looked like him describing how it had launched and fell back to earth. They hugged more, never stopped smiling, then the Dad picked him up like a sack of potatoes and carried him off, laughing to the car. It really was a sweet moment to watch. And in that moment I was reminded of a greater love....the love of our heavenly Father.....a love that is unconditional and lasting. Although I was slightly glad to see this camper leave, these parents were even more excited to see him come home. They don't really care that he had been non-stop activity, worn his counselor out, talked constantly and had and endless supply of energy...all they cared about is that he was home, that they could wrap their arms around him, that they could shower him with love and attention. Their love is unconditional....they see their son as their most precious gift, their sweetest blessing. No matter how others saw him, they saw him through the eyes of faithful love.
I am SO glad my heavenly Father sees me through those eyes.....He doesn't see me as others often see me...flawed, cranky, selfish, etc. He sees me as His prized possession, His redeemed creation, His precious child.

Thank you Lord, for continually giving me glimpses of You through this ministry....thank you for your faithful and unconditional love.

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Great picture of HIS great love to us. I so love reading about your life and ministry there. Can't wait to join you in early July. Love you!