Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week 4, Tuesday

Well, week 4 has begun. We are back to jr campers (8 -12 yrs old) and the 'silliness' is back. I like jr camp.....they enjoy it when you dance, sing funny, tickle them, etc....they LOVE silly!

Today in chapel, the speaker taught his lesson in a 'silly' way. He was telling the story of Jonah and the whale. First he and his team sang a song they wrote about Jonah.....then he told the story, in a lively way. THEN, he wanted the campers to get an idea of what it would be like to be in the belly of a whale. So he brought in a HUGE black trash bag (it was taller than me)....he filled it with 'slime' (mixture of glue, borax, and other stuff), several cans of sardines, and topped it off with a few cans of tuna fish. It was DISGUSTING! And I have an easy gag reflex! And to make the whole thing even more disgusting, they added a camper to the bag and "shook" him around....and campers actually volunteered to do it!!!

So, needless to say, they emerged from the bag covered in nastiness and smelling awful. It was quite the picture. I think the kids got the idea and realized that the 3 day ride Jonah got in the belly of the big fish was not exactly pleasant.

But the one thing that really stuck out to me is the smell....it was pretty bad. And it made me think about what our sin must "smell" like to God. It's said that our sacrifice and obedience is a sweet fragrance to Him....our sin must be the opposite. That demonstration in chapel made it very real to me. As the smell permeated the chapel, the thought of the 'stench' of my disobedience and rebellion against God was convicting.....powerful picture.

My prayer throughout the day was that I would be a sweet fragrance to my Savior....even in the little things....like not getting upset when a kid spilled their drink on me.....giving up my bucket at the waterfight when a camper asked for it (I REALLY wanted to keep it and get some people wet!).....willingly being a mediator for a dispute when all I really wanted to do was go to bed....I pray through all of it the Lord was pleased and the fragrance of obedience and sacrifice was a sweet smell to Him.

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Great post, Christy! Very convicting.