Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Good byes

This past weekend we had our commissioning service......it was a sweet time of fellowship, lessons shared from our pastor, instruction from the Word of God, and acknowledgment of the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives (and in each believers life). It was such an encouragement and such confirmation of all that has transpired over the past few years. And although it was hard to say good bye to our church family, I feel so confident that we have their support and their prayers as we embark on this new journey.
After the service we had a farewell fellowship at a local state park......again, another sweet time of fellowship with dear friends. Many came out to say good bye and encourage us with their presence. Some came from quite a distance which was such an encouragement and kind gesture....so good to see them before we head off to the other side of the country. It was especially sweet to see my children's friends come out to say good bye. I know how bittersweet it is for me to leave, but sometimes I forget it's the same for my children too. Although they are very excited to get to New Mexico, they are torn also.....the newness of the next chapter, but the tears that come with leaving this one. But from experience I know that God gives all that we need, and the comfort will come....not just come but He will trade our sorrow in for joy! I have to keep reminding myself of that too!!
As I was saying good bye to dear friends, it did cause me to reflect on my life here, in Beckley WV in particular......there has been a lot invested....both ways. Many talks, lots of laughs, a few tears, much growth, even some loss......through it all, the Lord has been nothing but good and faithful.....just like He promises.
So we are at the end here....we leave in exactly a week.....there are many emotions floating around, but last night, as my family and I were sitting at a local restaurant, it just hit me.....I am completely ready to go.....there was an absolute peace about everything and I could have climbed into my van and drove away right then. It's as if everything has been completed here (except all the packing!!! yikes!!) and it is time to go. And it is time to go......
....."the fields are white unto harvest".....it's time to go.

No comments: